Media advisory: Prevent and counter violent extremism and terrorism in Africa: The role of women
Date: Wednesday, June 27, 2018
What: On the margins of the United Nations High-Level Conference of Heads of Counter-Terrorism Agencies of Member States, the Office of the Special Adviser on Africa in cooperation with UNOWAS, UN Women, the Department of Public Information and the Permanent Missions of Germany and Japan to the United Nations, is organizing a side event called “Leveraging Partnerships and Strengthening Cooperation with Women to Counter and Prevent Violent Extremism and Terrorism in Africa”
When: 28 June 2018,13.15-14.30
Where: United Nations Headquarters, Conference Room 3 and by webcast (http://webtv.un.org/)
- Ms. Bience Gawanas, United Nations Under-Secretary-General and Special Adviser on Africa
- H.E Mr. Lazarus O. Amayo, Permanent Representative of Kenya to the UN and Chair of the Africa Group for the Month of July 2018
- H.E. Mr. Koro Bessho, Permanent Representative of Japan to the UN
- Mrs. Sandra Oulate Fattoh E., Director, ECOWAS Gender Development Centre
- Ms. Valeria de Campos Mello, Chief, Integrated Assistance for Countering Terrorism, United Nations Office of Counter Terrorism
- Ms. Paivi Kannisto, Chief Adviser, Peace and Security, Peace and Security, UN Women
Objective: The event will highlight good practices and strategies for successful engagement with women on addressing root causes that give rise to conflict, violent extremism and terrorism in Africa.
For further information or interview requests, please contact Mr. François Charlier, Office of the Special Adviser on Africa (charlier[at]un.org or + 1 212 963 0359)
Media advisory originally published on UN.org.