Editorial spotlight: High-level Political Forum 2018
Date: Thursday, July 5, 2018
The High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF), the main UN process for the review of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), is meeting at the UN Headquarters in New York from 9 – 18 July.
Under the theme, "Transformation towards sustainable and resilient societies", the HLPF will review the following SDGs: SDG 6, ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all; SDG 7, ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all; SDG 11, make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable; SDG 12, ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns; SDG 15, Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss; and SDG 17, strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development.
Achieving gender equality and empowering women and girls is a stand-alone goal within the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, but also a requisite for the success of other goals. For example, we cannot achieve sustainable management of water without women’s input, as in 80 per cent of households with water shortages, women and girls are responsible for water collection. We cannot make cities safe and inclusive without understanding the risks that women face in public transport or other public spaces.
As the global community works towards the SDGs, UN Women works to make sure no woman or girl is left behind in these efforts. In this editorial compilation, we bring you stories from women, on how the six SDGs being reviewed this year impact their lives.
What does the data say?
Events: UN Women at the High-level Political Forum
- “Reviewing progress in achieving the SDGs” at the High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development, 9 July 2018, 10–11.30am EDT, Conference Room 4, UN Headquarters, New York. UN Women Deputy Executive Director Åsa Regnér will speak at the panel. Read the full speech»
- “Women in Energy: Fueling development through women’s empowerment and gender-inclusive energy practices”, Monday, 9 July 2018, Trusteeship Chamber, 6.30-8 p.m.UN Women Deputy Executive Director Yannick Glemarec will speak at the event.
- “Improving accountability for the gender-responsive implementation of the New Urban Agenda”, Tuesday, 10 July, 1-2.30 p.m., Salvation Army, New York
- “Are Women meaningfully involved in implementing SDG6+ in National Plans?”, Thursday, 12 July, 1.15-2.30 p.m., Conference Room 8, UN Headquarters, New York
- “Behavioral Insights and Gender Equality”, 13 July 2017, 4-6 p.m., Conference Room, 19th floor, UN Women Headquarters, New York
- “Gender Equal Nationality Rights: Middle East and North Africa”, 17 July, 1.15-2.30 p.m., Conference Room A
- "Resilient Women. Resilient Societies: Advancing gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls to accelerate transformative change for the SDGs", 18 July, 1.15-2.30 p.m., Trusteeship Council Chamber