UN Women launches global campaign to mark the 20th anniversary of the World Conference on Women in Beijing at the Apollo Theatre
UN Women Executive Director to brief media at UN Headquarters prior to event
Fecha: lunes, 23 de junio de 2014
WHAT: Launch event of UN Women's global campaign “Empowering Women – Empowering Humanity: Picture It!” to mark the 20th anniversary of the World Conference on Women in Beijing.
WHEN: Thursday, 26 June 2014, 5 – 7 p.m.
WHERE: Apollo Theatre, 253 W 125th Street, New York.
Background: 2015 marks the 20th anniversary of the Fourth World Conference on Women in Beijing, a significant turning point on the global agenda for gender equality. The Beijing Declaration and the Platform for Action, adopted unanimously by 189 countries in 1995, is a visionary blueprint for gender equality and the empowerment of women.
UN Women’s campaign (beijing20.unwomen.org) is geared to galvanize public debate, particularly engaging younger generations, and to renew political will and commitment to accelerate implementation of the Platform. It also aims to strengthen evidence-base to increase knowledge of structural issues that are barriers to gender equality and enhance investment for women’s rights.
Programme: A celebratory evening at the Apollo Theatre featuring words, action and music will include renowned speakers and performers, including:
• Jan Eliasson, Deputy Secretary-General of the United Nations
• Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, United Nations Under-Secretary-General and UN Women Executive Director
• Gale Brewer, Manhattan Borough President
• Women of the World, international world music ensemble
• Girl Be Heard, musical group
• Jimmie Briggs, Founder of Man Up
• Carlos Andrés Gómez, award-winning poet, actor, writer and author of Man Up
• Gloria Steinem, writer, lecturer, editor, and feminist activist
• Maya Wiley, General Counsel to the Mayor of New York City
• Charlotte Bunch, Founding Director and Senior Scholar, at the Center for Women's Global Leadership, Rutgers University
• Soon-Young Yoon, United Nations representative for the International Alliance of Women
• Joya Dass, NY1 Anchor
Moderator: Monique Coleman actress & global youth advocate
To attend the launch event, see our invitation here and don't forget to RSVP.
For media wishing to attend the launch event at the Apollo Theater, please review the house press rules below.
Media interested in interviews with participants should contact: Sharon.Grobeisen[at]unwomen.org or Oisika.Chakrabart[at]unwomen.org.
Prior to the event, UN Under Secretary-General and UN Women Executive Director Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka will be the guest at the Noon Briefing by the Spokesperson of the UN Secretary-General to speak about the 20th anniversary of the Fourth World Conference on Women in Beijing and the launch of UN Women's Beijing+20 campaign: “Empowering Women – Empowering Humanity: Picture It!”.
The Noon Briefing will take place in Room S-0237, UN Secretariat, New York at 12 p.m. It will also be webcast LIVE at: http://beijing20.unwomen.org/en
For press wishing to attend, UN press accreditation is required. More information at: www.un.org/media/accreditation