Conference Room 2, North Lawn Building, UN Headquarters, New York
This year the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women and Celebration of the 15th Anniversary of the UN Trust Fund to End Violence against Women will be commemorated under the theme : ” Youth Leadership in Preventing and Ending Violence against Women and Girls “.
The commemoration of the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women is an initiative of the United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon’s UNiTE to End Violence against Women campaign launched in 2008. Through the UNiTE campaign governments, civil society, women’s organizations, young people, the private sector, the media and the entire UN system join forces in addressing the global pandemic of violence against women and girls. The campaign aim to achieve the following five goals in all countries by 2015:
- Adopt and enforce national laws to address and punish all forms of violence against women and girls
- Adopt and implement multi-sectoral national action plans
- Strengthen data collection on the prevalence of violence against women and girls
- Increase public awareness and social mobilization
- Address sexual violence in conflict
- Moderator : Monique Coleman, UN Youth Champion
- Keynote Speaker: United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon
- Michelle Bachelet , Under Secretary-General and Executive Director of UN Women
- H.E. Mr. Abdou Salam Diallo, Permanent Mission of the Republic of Senegal
- Irma Puac, UN Trust Fund grantee and representative of the Population Council, Guatemala
- Anthony Lake, Executive Director of UNICEF (tbc)
- Ali Raad, UN Trust Fund grantee and representative of the KAFA, Lebanon
- Pascaline Umulisa, WAGGGS, Rwanda
Non UN pass holders are invited to RSVP by Friday, 18 November at http://www.unwomen.org/rsvp/event/14. Kindly remember to bring photo identification for security clearance.
For more information please contact Oisika Chakrabarti, Media Specialist, oisika.chakrabarti[at]unwomen.org, +1 646 781-4522.
Watch the Official Commemoration of the United Nations’ International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women and the 15th Anniversary of the UN Trust Fund to End Violence against Women live here!