UN Women and UNRISD are hosting a workshop to reflect critically on existing and potential areas of research on gender issues, catalyze the work of other UN organizations, and explore possibilities for new collaborative work. The proposed meeting is the first part of a consultative process that will enable UN Women to fulfil its coordination and support role within the United Nations System. Accordingly, the meeting will bring together researchers and those in charge of gender issues from different UN agencies as well as a selected group of researchers from outside the UN system.
The specific objectives of the workshop are to:
- Take stock of research outputs on various aspects of gender inequality within the UN system
- Identify research that enhances informed policy advocacy
- Identify a set of gender-related thematic areas which remain under-researched
- Suggest some possible areas of collaboration, both within the UN system and between the UN and non-UN research entities
- Amplify pro-active mechanisms/strategies aimed at nurturing research through generating and sharing research-based findings across different UN entities and beyond