Conference Room 6, North Lawn Building, UN Headquarters, New York
This year the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against will be commemorated under the theme: “A Promise is A Promise”.
The Official Commemoration of the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women is an initiative organized under the umbrella of the United Nations Secretary-General’s campaign UNiTE to End Violence against Women launched in 2008. Through the UNiTE campaign governments, civil society, women’s organizations, young people, the private sector, the media and the entire UN system join forces in addressing the global pandemic of violence against women and girls. The campaign aims to achieve the following five goals in all countries by 2015:
- Adopt and enforce national laws to address and punish all forms of violence against women and girls
- Adopt and implement multi-sectoral national action plans
- Strengthen data collection on the prevalence of violence against women and girls
- Increase public awareness and social mobilization
- Address sexual violence in conflict
- Moderator: Juju Chang, ABC News Correspondent
- Keynote Speaker: United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon
- H.E. Ms. Marjon V. Kamara: Permanent Mission of Liberia, Chair of the Commission on the Status of Women
- Michelle Bachelet: Under-Secretary-General and Executive Director of UN Women
- Marai Larasi, Executive Director, Imkaan, London
- Dhruv Arora, UN World Youth Summit award for GotStared.At, Member of the UNiTE campaign Global Youth Network
Due to limited space, please register and fill out the following form if you would like to attend the event “A Promise is A Promise”: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/APromiseIsAPromise.
One week prior to the event we will inform you whether your registration has been approved followed by an email that will include information to collect the UN pass required to attend the event.
For more information please contact Julien Vaissier, United Nations Secretary-General’s campaign UNiTe to End Violence Against Women, Communications Officer, julien.vaissier[at]unwomen.org, +1 646 781-4707.