Arab Region Meeting
On 23 February 2014, a high-level meeting on Implementing the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) for Women and Girls, Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women in the Arab Region: The Development Post 2015 Agenda– Opportunities and Challenges, was held in Cairo, Egypt, at the Arab League. The Meeting adopted the Cairo Declaration.
Asia-Pacific Regional Preparatory Meeting
On 12 and 13 February 2014, the Asia-Pacific Regional Preparatory meeting for the fifty-eighth session of the Commission on the Status of Women was held in Bangkok, Thailand. The meeting was jointly organized by the Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) and the UN-Women Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific.
Joint Statement of Women’s Rights Civil Society Movements at the Asia-Pacific Civil Society Consultation for the 20-Year Review of the Implementation of the Beijing Platform for Action and for the fifty-eighth session of the Commission on the Status of Women
Latin American and Caribbean CSW Preparatory Meeting
On 6 and 7 February 2014, at the invitation of Mexico’s Secretariat of Foreign Affairs and Mexico’s National Institute of Women and with the support of the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women), Ministers and High-level Authorities responsible for public policies on behalf of the human rights and empowerment of women and girls in Latin America and the Caribbean gathered and adopted a Declaration of the Mechanisms for the Promotion of Women of Latin America and the Caribbean prior to the 58th session of the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW)
Africa Regional CSW58 Preparatory and Consultative Meeting
From 6 – 7 February 2014, UN Women, in partnership with the UN Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) and the African Union Commission (AUC), convened a meeting in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Ministers responsible for Gender and Women’s Affairs and experts met to prepare for the fifty-eighth session of the Commission on the Status of Women on the priority theme “Challenges and achievements in the implementation of the Millennium Development Goals for Women and Girls”; and to strengthen gender equality and women’s empowerment in the Africa Common Position on the Post-2015 Development Agenda.
On 4 and 5 December 2013, UN Women convened a forum to engage a range of stakeholders in the preparations for CSW58 at UN Headquarters in New York.
- Concept note and discussion guides
- Opening statement Deputy Executive Director Lakshmi Puri
- Closing comments (Day 1) Deputy Executive Director John Hendra
- Closing statement (Day 2) Executive Director Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka
- Panelists’ statements:
- Minister of Gender, Malawi
- MP, Papua New Guinea
- Minister of Women, Children and People with Disabilities, South Africa
- Permanent Representative of Norway to the United Nations
- Permanent Representative of the Philippines to the United Nations and Chair-designate of the fifty-eighth session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- Permanent Representative of Singapore to the United Nations
- Permanent Representative of Thailand on behalf of the Minister of Social Development and Human Security of Thailand
- Association for Women’s Rights in Development (AWID)
Expert Group Meeting
In preparation for the fifty-eighth session, UN Women, in collaboration with the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC), convened an Expert Group Meeting on “Structural and policy constraints in achieving the MDGs for women and girls” from 21 to 24 October 2013 in Mexico City, Mexico.
Preparatory expert panel
A preparatory expert panel on the priority theme was held during the fifty-seventh session of the Commission on 6 March 2013.