The sixty-fifth session of the Commission on the Status of Women will take place at the United Nations Headquarters in New York from 15 to 26 March 2021.
Representatives of Member States, UN entities, and ECOSOC-accredited non-governmental organizations (NGOs) from all regions of the world are invited to attend the session.
- Priority theme: Women's full and effective participation and decision-making in public life, as well as the elimination of violence, for achieving gender equality and the empowerment of all women and girls;
- Review theme: Women's empowerment and the link to sustainable development (agreed conclusions of the sixtieth session)
The Bureau of the Commission plays a crucial role in facilitating the preparation for, and in ensuring the successful outcome of the annual sessions of the Commission. Bureau members serve for two years. In 2002, in order to improve its work and ensure continuity, the Commission decided to hold the first meeting of its subsequent session, immediately following the closure of the regular session, for the sole purpose of electing the new Chairperson and other members of the Bureau (ECOSOC decision 2002/234).
The Bureau for the 65th session (2021) of the Commission on the Status of Women comprises the following members:
- H.E. Mr. Mher Margaryan (Armenia), Chair (Eastern European States Group)
- Ms. Jo Feldman (Australia), Vice-Chair (Western European and other States Group)
- Ms. Ahlem Sara Charikhi (Algeria), Vice-Chair (African States Group)
- Mr. Na Sang Deok (Republic of Korea), Vice-Chair (Asia-Pacific States Group)
- Vice-Chair for the Latin American and Caribbean States Group; to be nominated
The outcome of the Commission’s consideration of the priority theme during its 65th session will take the form of agreed conclusions, to be negotiated by all Member States.
More information regarding the 65th session of the Commission on the Status of Women (2021) to be uploaded as available in due time.