Forty-five Member States of the United Nations serve as members of the Commission at any one time. The Commission consists of one representative from each of the 45 Member States elected by the Economic and Social Council on the basis of equitable geographical distribution:
- 13 members from Africa
- 11 from Asia
- nine from Latin America and Caribbean
- eight from Western Europe and other States
- four from Eastern Europe
Members are elected for a period of four years.
- Current members of the Commission
- Previous members: CSW63 (2018) | CSW62 (2017) | CSW61 (2016) | CSW60 (2015)
The Bureau of the Commission plays a crucial role in facilitating the preparation for, and in ensuring the successful outcome of the annual sessions of the Commission. Bureau members serve for two years. In 2002, in order to improve its work and ensure continuity, the Commission decided to hold the first meeting of its subsequent session, immediately following the closure of the regular session, for the sole purpose of electing the new Chairperson and other members of the Bureau (ECOSOC decision 2002/234).
The Bureau for the 64th session (2020) of the Commission on the Status of Women comprises the following members:
- H.E. Mr. Mher Margaryan (Armenia), Chair (Eastern European States Group)
- Ms. Zahraa Nassrullah (Iraq), Vice-Chair designate (Asia-Pacific States Group)
- Ms. Jo Feldman (Australia), Vice-Chair (Western European and other States Group)
- Ms. Nora Bellout (Algeria), Vice-Chair designate (African States Group)
- Ms. Devita Abraham (Trinidad and Tobago), Vice-Chair designate (Latin American and Caribbean States Group)