UN Women impact stories series
UN Women is at the forefront of the global drive to remove gender barriers because we believe in a world of justice and human rights for everyone. Towards that end, and as the only United Nations entity dedicated to gender equality, we marshal the world’s best gender expertise and the considerable resources of the United Nations. We connect people in many realms, the national and international, the public and private, activists and officials. Together, our efforts are more than any of us could pursue alone.
The “UN Women impact stories series”, updated quarterly, illustrates the human impact of UN Women’s work across the world, highlighting the partnerships that make this work possible. These stories share how we and our many partners are striding forward to realize a better world for women and girls—one of equality and empowerment because that is what we do and who we are, as a leader, mobilizer, convenor, and provider of programmes.
Ending violence against women (November 2020)
Read and share the stories of UN Women’s selected programmes to end violence against women and girls across the world, highlighting the impact of our work and the partnerships that make it possible.
- Arrested for being raped: Changing harmful laws and norms in Nigeria
- In Gaza, helping mothers reunite with children separated by the COVID-19 lockdown
- Building a safe city for women and girls in El Alto, Bolivia [es]
- Revised law empowers women survivors of violence in Albania
- Women lead innovative solutions to support survivors of domestic violence in the wake of COVID-19 in Viet Nam
COVID-19 response (August 2020)
From the moment the pandemic broke, UN Women drew worldwide attention to specific tolls on women and girls. This selection of stories highlights how we and our partners quickly shifted efforts to ensure that women and girls are at the centre of the COVID-19 response.
- As Haiti battles COVID-19, services to protect women and girls with disabilities are critical
- Gender assessments in Europe and Central Asia reveal COVID-19’s devastating impact on women
- Women lead post-cyclone recovery in Bangladesh amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Women peace mediators on the front lines of COVID-19 prevention in refugee settlements in Uganda
- Youth volunteers combat online misinformation on COVID-19 in Arab States
Subject area(s): COVID-19; Economic empowerment; Ending violence against women and girls; Gender equality and women’s empowerment; Governance and national planning; Health; Leadership and political participation; Partnerships; Peace and security
UN Women office involved in publication: UN Women Headquarters
Publication year: 2020
Publishing entities: United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women)