International Women’s Day 2018 – Observance at UN headquarters
TIME IS NOW: Rural and urban activists transforming women’s lives
The United Nations Observance of International Women’s Day was held on 8 March 2018 in the General Assembly Hall, UN Headquarters, New York.
For full coverage of the event, please see “Press release: Commemoration of International Women’s Day amidst unprecedented global movement for women’s rights”.
Moderated by Sade Baderinwa, WABC News.
Opening session: 10–10.30 a.m.
- Mr. António Guterres, Secretary-General of the United Nations
- H.E. Mr. Miroslav Lajčák, President of the UN General Assembly
- Hon. Ms. Julie Bishop MP, Minister for Foreign Affairs, Australia
- H.E. Ms. Geraldine Byrne Nason, Chair of the 62nd session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- Ms. Monica Ramirez, Co-Founder and President of Alianza Nacional de Campesinas (Key-note)
- Ms. Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, Executive Director, UN Women
Fireside chat: 10.30–11.15 a.m.
- Ms.Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, Executive Director, UN Women
- Ms. Reese Witherspoon, Academy Award–winning actor and activist
- Ms. Danai Gurira, Tony-nominated playwright, actor and activist
Panel discussion: 11.15 a.m. – 12.30 p.m.
- Ms. Jayathma Wickramanayake, Secretary-General’s Envoy on Youth
- Ms. Karen Yelick, CEO Indego Africa
- Ms. Marai Larasi, Executive Director, Imkaan
- Ms. Shahrashoub Razavi, Chief, Research and Data, UN Women
- Mr. Arunachalam Muruganantham (video message)
The event also featured musical performances by Drew Olivia Tillman and Broadway Singers.