UN Women Strategic Plan 2018–2021
The Strategic Plan 2018–2021 outlines UN Women’s strategic direction, objectives and approaches to support efforts to achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls. It supports the implementation of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action and contributes to the gender-responsive implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
With a cross-cutting emphasis on responding to countries’ requests and leaving no woman or girl behind, the Strategic Plan outlines five strategic priorities for UN Women in 2018–2021:
- A comprehensive and dynamic set of global norms, policies, and standards on gender equality and the empowerment of women is strengthened and implemented.
- Women lead, participate in, and benefit equally from governance systems.
- Women have income security, decent work, and economic autonomy.
- All women and girls live a life free from all forms of violence.
- Women and girls contribute to and have greater influence in building sustainable peace and resilience, and benefit equally from the prevention of natural disasters and conflicts and humanitarian action.
UN Women will support the achievement of these outcomes by leveraging its comparative advantages and its collaborative advantage, focused on its catalytic role and building partnerships in support of results for women and girls. In this regard, the Strategic Plan outlines how UN Women will leverage its mandate of normative support, UN system coordination and operational activities for results. The Integrated results and resources framework outlines the specific results that UN Women aims to achieve and the estimated budget required.
Annexes (in English only):
- Annex I: Integrated results and resources framework
- Annex II: Development results theory of change
- Annex III: Interagency annex – Working together to support the implementation of the 2030 Agenda
- Annex IV: Alignment of the Strategic Plan 2018–2021 with the QCPR
Background documents (in English only):
- Theories of change of Strategic Plan outputs
- Integration of lessons learned in the Strategic Plan 2018-2021
- Approach for calculating resources necessary for the achievement of outcomes
- Stocktaking paper: Harnessing the digital revolution for the achievement of gender equality and women’s empowerment
- Looking back to move forward: Using evaluation to inform the 2018–2021 Strategic Plan
- SDG indicators and the new Strategic Plan
For additional documents pertaining to the development process of the Strategic Plan 2018–2021, please see the archive.
Resource type: Strategic plans
UN Women office involved in publication: UN Women Headquarters
Publication year: 2017
Number of pages: 28 + annexes
Publishing entities: United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women)
Governing bodies: UN Women Executive Board