CSW62 side event: #METOO – NOW WHAT? Women in the media: from outcry to action
#METOO – NOW WHAT? Women in the media: from outcry to action
Date: Friday, 16 March 2018, 11.30 a.m. – 12.45 p.m.
Location: United Nations Headquarters, ECOSOC Chamber
Recent events have revealed the scale of gender discrimination and sexual exploitation of women in the media industry. Join us in an event to seize this opportunity and move the discourse and global outcry against gender discrimination to the next level.
The event will showcase solutions that address the issue from a holistic perspective, and discuss the role envisioned for the media industry to affect positive change and leave no one behind.
- Ine Eriksen Søreide, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Norway
- Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, UN Women Executive Director
- Pamella Sittoni, Managing Editor of the East African
- Fatemah Farag, Founder of Welad el Belad and Director of Women in News in MENA
- Matthew Winkler, Co-founder and Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, Bloomberg News
Moderated by Polly Toynbee, columnist, The Guardian, with opening remarks by Sienna Miller, actor and activist.
This event is open to UN Ground Pass holders only. If you wish to attend this event and you do not have a UN Ground Pass, you must RSVP here by Monday, 12 March 2018. Due to increasing security restrictions at UN HQ, UN Security will only admit those whose name will be printed on the admission ticket and carry a valid ID. Once you get the confirmation email, you will receive instructions to retrieve your ticket.