Join our global Tweetathon to kick-off the Beijing+20 Campaign!
Date: Tuesday, May 20, 2014
UN Women’s new #Beijing20 campaign will be kicked off through a global all-day Tweetathon on Thursday, 22 May, starting at 12 a.m. EST with the first message from @phumzileunwomen!
She’ll be followed by 14 other hosts who’ll tackle specific themes (all times are EST):
- 12.30 a.m. @anubhabhonsle from India will lead the discussion around violence against women and political participation;
- 3 a.m. @femnetprog from Kenya will discuss women and health;
- 4 a.m. @worldywca will tweet on young women’s leadership;
- 7 a.m. @harassmap from Egypt will hold a bilingual discussion (Arabic and English) on sexual harassment and violence against women;
- 8 a.m. @wagggs_world (World Association of Girl Guides and Girls Scouts) will delve into the empowerment of girls;
- 9 a.m. @UN, the main United Nations account, will lead a general discussion on the Beijing Declaration and current affairs;
- 10 a.m. @EuropeanWomen will host a trilingual discussion (English, French, Spanish) on economic empowerment;
- 11 a.m. @half (Half the Sky) will tackle the issue of violence against women;
- 12 a.m. @MConstruyendo (Mujeres Construyendo) from Mexico will lead a general discussion (in Spanish only);
- 1 p.m. @womensmediacntr will address women and the media;
- 2 p.m. @GlobalFundWomen will discuss how to create a safe world for girls;
- 3 p.m. @devex will look at poverty, women and development;
- 4 p.m. @LeanInOrg will highlight girls’ leadership;
- 5 p.m. @UN_Women will conclude the Tweetathon with a general wrap-up discussion.
What is the #Beijing20 campaign?
“Empowering Women – Empowering Humanity: Picture It!”, is a year-long campaign to mark the 20th anniversary of the Beijing Platform for Action, considered to be a visionary blueprint for advancing women’s rights in all areas of life. The Campaign is an invitation to global citizens to engage in the conversation, to imagine a world in which gender equality and women's empowerment is a reality, as well as to discuss existing gaps. It is equally a call to action, for renewed political will, social mobilization and awareness-raising, with a strong focus on visuals and imagination.
A social media package with all content and images is available here (English, Spanish, French): http://ow.ly/x1YFk (embargoed until 22 May @ 12 a.m. EST). After the launch, beginning in early June 2014, the campaign will feature mini-campaigns around each of the monthly topics. You’ll be able to access new campaign material every month.