Written and Oral Statements
Sign-up period for requests to make an oral statement has ended. NGOs who signed up will be contacted via email in the next week.
General discussion: Oral statements may be delivered during the general discussion by a limited number of NGOs in consultative status with ECOSOC, subject to time availability. Preference will be given to NGOs speaking about the theme of the session, on behalf of groups of organizations, caucuses, or coalitions. Instructions about the process will be communicated via e-mail to each NGO representative requesting to make a statement.
Oral statements should not exceed three minutes (approx. two pages double-spaced using font size 12).
Interactive expert panels: A limited number of NGOs in consultative status with ECOSOC will be able to make oral interventions during the interactive panels, subject to time availability. Interventions must be focused on the theme of the panel. Inputs on other issues will not be accommodated. Instructions will be communicated via e-mail to each NGO representative requesting to make an intervention.
Interventions at interactive expert panels are NOT to be in the form of prepared statements; NGOs are therefore not required to submit copies of such interventions. These interventions must be in the form of comments or questions addressed to the panel experts. Interventions should not exceed three minutes.
Sign-up period for requests to make an oral intervention has ended. NGOs who signed up will be contacted via email in the next week.
NGOs in consultative status with the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) may submit written statements on the thematic issues considered by CSW, in accordance with Council resolution 1996/31. Statements are submitted months prior to the session in order to allow time for processing and issuance of the statements as official United Nations documents for the Commission.
Deadline for submission expired on 24 October 2014. Statements will be published on the CSW59 website before the session.
- NGOs in consultative status with ECOSOC shall submit their written statements from 9 thru 24 October 2014 via CSO-Net. Please click here to login to CSO-Net. Statements sent by e-mail will not be accepted.
- Statements by organizations in general consultative status with ECOSOC may not exceed 2,000 words; statements by organizations in special consultative status with ECOSOC may not exceed 1,500 words.
- Submit written statements in one of the official languages of the United Nations: Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian or Spanish. Organizations submitting statements in more than one official language must specify which language version is the original and which other versions are to be used as references for translation.
- Indicate the start of a new paragraph with a double line break.
- Paragraphs of the statement should not be numbered.
- Do not use footnotes and endnotes. Please incorporate all information into the body of the statement.
- If the statement is supported by other NGOs in consultative status with ECOSOC, add a note at the end of the document to this effect. (The names of the NGOs should be in alphabetical order).
- Avoid using abbreviations and acronyms. (For a list of permissible acronyms, please consult the UN Editorial Manual). All others acronyms, including the acronym for the Commission on the Status of Women ("CSW") and for your organization are not allowed in written statements.
- Keep statements clear, concise, and simple. Avoid repetition.
- Introduce key ideas and present needed information in the first sentence or paragraph of your statement.
- Organize material using the principle of one thought per paragraph to make reading effortless.
- Verify references to titles and dates of United Nations events and conferences.
- Prepare your statement in Microsoft Word or a text processor, and save it on your PC. If you don't save it in advance, you might lose it later during submission, e.g. if your PC loses the connection to the online system. Once you have finalized your statement, copy-paste the final text from your document onto the statement submission page in CSO-Net. Please note the online system removes formatting.