Opportunities for NGOs to address the Commission
Submission of written statements
NGOs in consultative status with the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) may submit written statements on the thematic issues considered by CSW, in accordance with Council resolution 1996/31. Statements are submitted months prior to the session in order to allow time for processing and issuance of the statements as official United Nations documents for the Commission.
Submission of written statements will be open for NGOs in consultative status with ECOSOC from 30 September to 17 October 2016 via United Nations CSO-net. The link to the statement submission will be posted here on 30 September 2016. Statements sent by e-mail will not be accepted.
NGOs are strongly encouraged to submit joint statements in collaboration with other NGOs in consultative status with ECOSOC.
- Statements by organizations in general consultative status with ECOSOC may not exceed 2,000 words including the cover page; statements by organizations in special consultative status with ECOSOC may not exceed 1,500 words including the cover page.
- Submit written statements in one of the official languages of the United Nations: Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian or Spanish. Organizations submitting statements in more than one official language must specify which language version is the original and which other versions are to be used as references for translation.
- Indicate the start of a new paragraph with a double line break.
- Paragraphs of the statement should not be numbered.
- Do not use footnotes and endnotes. Please incorporate all information into the body of the statement.
- If the statement is supported by other NGOs in consultative status with ECOSOC, add a note at the end of the document to this effect. (The names of the NGOs should be in alphabetical order)
- Ensure that the name of your organization (and of other NGOs in consultative status with ECOSOC) is referenced as contained in the official list of non-governmental organizations in consultative status with the Economic and Social Council
- Avoid using abbreviations and acronyms. (For a list of permissible acronyms, please consult the UN Editorial Manual). All others acronyms, including the acronym for the Commission on the Status of Women ("CSW") and for your organization are not allowed in written statements.
- Identify key ideas that you would like to address; introduce these ideas in the first sentence or paragraph of your statement.
- Avoid repetition. Keep statements clear, simple and to the point.
- To make reading effortless, organize material by applying the principle of one thought per paragraph.
- Verify references to titles and dates of United Nations events and conferences.
- You may want to prepare your statement in Microsoft Word, or another text processor, and save it on your PC to avoid losing it during submission (e.g. if your PC loses the connection to the online system). Once you have finalized your statement, copy-paste the final text from your document onto the statement submission page in CSO-Net. Please note the online system removes formatting. Click here to view a tutorial on how to submit a statement in CSO-Net.
Making at speech during the general discussion
Oral statements may be delivered during the general discussion by a limited number of NGOs in consultative status with ECOSOC, subject to time availability. Preference will be given to NGOs speaking about the priority theme, on behalf of groups of organizations, caucuses, or coalitions.
Sign up for NGOs in consultative status with ECOSOC to express interest in delivering an oral statement during the general discussion will be open online from 24 January to 17 February 2017. The link to the sign-up form will be posted here on 24 January 2017.
Oral statements should not exceed three minutes (approx. two pages double-spaced using font size 12).
Instructions about the process will be communicated via e-mail to each NGO representative that requested to make a statement.
Intervening from the floor during an interactive panel
A limited number of NGOs in consultative status with ECOSOC will be able to make oral interventions during the interactive panels. Interventions must be focused on the theme of the panel. Inputs on other issues will not be accommodated.
Sign up for NGOs in consultative status with ECOSOC to express interest in intervening from the floor during an interactive panel will be open online from 24 January to 17 February 2017. The link to the sign-up form will be posted here on 24 January 2017.
Interventions at interactive expert panels are NOT be in the form of prepared statements; NGOs are therefore not required to submit copies of such interventions. These interventions must be in the form of comments or questions addressed to the panel experts. Interventions should not exceed three minutes.
Instructions will be communicated via e-mail to each NGO representative requesting to make an intervention.