High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development
The High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF) is the main United Nations platform for follow-up and review of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The HLPF provides political leadership, guidance and recommendations for sustainable development. It reviews progress in the implementation of the 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), with the aim to integrate the economic, social and environmental dimensions of sustainable development.
The HLPF meets every year under the auspices of the UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), and every four years under the auspices of the UN General Assembly, when Heads of State and/or Government attend the Forum.
In 2018, the HLPF will be held from 9-18 July under the theme of “Transformation towards sustainable and resilient societies”. The following set of SDGs will be discussed in-depth:
- SDG 6 – Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
- SDG 7 – Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- SDG 11 – Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- SDG 12 – Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- SDG 15 – Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
- SDG 17 – Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development
As a contribution to the HLPF, UN Women, UN Environment and UN Habitat are organizing an expert group meeting on Building Sustainable and Resilient Societies through the Gender-responsive Implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development on 5-7 June 2018 in Nairobi.