High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development
The High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF) is the main United Nations platform for follow-up and review of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The HLPF provides political leadership, guidance and recommendations for sustainable development. It reviews progress in the implementation of the 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), with the aim to integrate the economic, social and environmental dimensions of sustainable development.
The HLPF meets every year under the auspices of the UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), and every four years under the auspices of the UN General Assembly, when Heads of State and/or Government attend the Forum.
In 2017, the HLPF will be held from 10 to 19 July under the theme of “Eradicating poverty and promoting prosperity in a changing world”. The following set of SDGs will be discussed in-depth:
- SDG 1 – end poverty in all its forms everywhere
- SDG 2 – end hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- SDG 3 – ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- SDG 5 – achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- SDG 9 – build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
- SDG 14 – conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
- SDG 17 – strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development
As a contribution to the HLPF’s in-depth review of SDG 5, UN Women and the UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA) held an expert group meeting on “Strategies to achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls through the gender-responsive implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development” on 30–31 May 2017 at UN headquarters in New York. See “Making the SDGs work for women: Experts meet at the UN ahead of High-Level Political Forum” for webcast videos, background documents and outcomes of the meeting.
Useful links and documents
- 2017 HLPF thematic review of SDG 5: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- Driving the gender-responsive implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
- Input from the Committee on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women to HLPF 2017
- Input from the Commission on the Status of Women to HLPF 2017
- HLPF Blog – UN Women article