High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development
The High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF) is the main United Nations platform for follow-up and review of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The HLPF provides political leadership, guidance and recommendations for sustainable development. It reviews progress in the implementation of the 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), with the aim to integrate the economic, social and environmental dimensions of sustainable development.
The HLPF meets every year under the auspices of the UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), and every four years under the auspices of the UN General Assembly, when Heads of State and/or Government attend the Forum.
In 2018, the HLPF was held 9–18 July under the theme of “Transformation towards sustainable and resilient societies”. The following SDGs were discussed in-depth:
- SDG 6 – Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
- SDG 7 – Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- SDG 11 – Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- SDG 12 – Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- SDG 15 – Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
- SDG 17 – Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development
Expert Group Meeting
As a contribution to the HLPF, UN Women, UN Environment, and UN Habitat organized an expert group meeting on “Building sustainable and resilient societies through the gender-responsive implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development”, on 5–6 June 2018 in Nairobi.
Selected reference documents
- Women and the SDGs
- Turning promises into action: Gender equality in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
- Towards a gender-responsive implementation of the UN Convention to Combat Desertification
- CSW 60 agreed conclusions on women’s empowerment and the link to sustainable development
- Strategies to Achieve Gender Equality and Empower all Women and Girls through the Gender-responsive Implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
- Readying institutions and policies for integrated approaches to implementation of the 2030 Agenda
- Report of the Secretary-General on Progress towards the Sustainable Development Goals
- Report of the Secretary-General. From global to local: supporting sustainable and resilient societies in urban and rural communities
- Input from the Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women to the 2018 HLPF
- Input from the Commission on the Status of Women to the 2018 HLPF
- Input from the Women’s Major Group to the 2018 HLPF