Events at the 59th Session of the Commission on the Status of Women, 9 – 20 March 2015
Official meetings of the Commission are listed here: http://www.unwomen.org/en/csw/csw59-2015/official-meetings
Live webcasts: http://www.unwomen.org/en/news/in-focus/csw/webcasts
UN Women organized/co-sponsored events:
- Promoting gender equality in nationality laws, organized by UNHCR and OHCHR, with Missions of Algeria, Australia, Bangladesh, Chile, Indonesia, Kenya, New Zealand, Portugal, Senegal, Tunisia and the United States of America, 10 March, 11 a.m.-12.45 p.m., Conference Room E, see our flyer.
- Towards a Continental Results Framework on Women, Peace and Security in Africa, organized by the Office of the Special Adviser on Africa and the Permanent Mission of the African Union, 10 March, 1.15-2.30 p.m., Conference Room 11, see our flyer.
- Annual Women’s Empowerment Principles (WEPs) event, titled “Unlimited Potential: Business Partners for Gender Equality”, hosted by the UN Global Compact and UN Women, 10 March, 1.30– 5.30 p.m., ECOSOC Chambers, UN Secretariat; 11 March, 9 a.m.- 5 p.m., Wyndham New Yorker Hotel (481 8th Avenue, New York). Media need to register at firstname.lastname@example.org, to attend the event, along with getting UN media accreditation. Programme at: http://weprinciples.org/Site/FeaturedSpeakers This event will be livestreamed.
- Planet 50-50 by 2030: Step it Up for Gender Equality, a large-scale Beijing+20 celebratory event with musical performances, high-powered speakers and celebrities, 10 March, 7.30- 10.30 p.m., Manhattan Centre Hammerstein Ballroom, 311 West 34th Street, New York City
- Implementing the Beijing Platform for Action especially in the post-2015 context: A UN system response, organized by UN Women, 11 March, 8.15-9.45 a.m., Millennium Hotel. By invitation only.
- Parliaments for Gender Equality: Priorities for Beijing+20 and beyond, full-day parliamentary event, organized by the Inter-Parliamentary Union and UN Women. Speakers include Ellen Chesler and Nicole Ameline (both CEDAW members), Rosaline Smith, MP from Sierra Leone, and others, 11 March, 10 a.m.-6 p.m., ECOSOC Chamber, see our flyer.
- New action on women's rights – shared responsibilities, organized by the Nordisk Forum, Swedish Women's Lobby, and co-sponsored by UN Women, 11 March, 10-11.15 a.m., Conference Room 11, see our flyer.
- Prevention to Response: Addressing the continuum of violence against women and girls, organized by UN Women, 11 March, 1.15-2.30 p.m., Conference Room 1 [Live webcast]
- Gender and Local Economic Development: Unlocking domestic capital for women’s economic empowerment and entrepreneurship, organized by UNCDF, UNDP and UN Women, with the Missions of Sweden and Luxembourg, 11 March, 3-4.45 p.m., Hammarskjöld Library Auditorium
- Women and the Media, Advancing Critical Area of Concern J of the Beijing Platform for Action, organized by UN Women and UNESCO. Speakers include Academy Award-winning actress Geena Davis, UN Women Executive Director Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, Director-General of UNESCO Irina Bokova, and other leaders, 12 March at 10-11.15 a.m., Dag Hammarskjöld Auditorium [Live Webcast]
- Voices against Violence: Addressing the root causes of violence against girls and women through non-formal education, organized by the Permanent Mission of Denmark, Zonta International, World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts and co-sponsored by UN Women, 12 March, 11.30 a.m. – 12.45 p.m., Dag Hammarskjöld Auditorium, see our flyer. [Live webcast]
- Arts and advocacy campaign to end sex discriminatory laws, organized by Equality Now and UN Women, 12 March, 1.15-2.30 p.m., Conference Room 1. Introduction by Jane Fonda. Opening remarks by UN Women Executive Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka and Equality Now Global Executive Director Yasmeen Hassan, and artistic performance by Sarah Jones. [Live webcast]
- Intergenerational dialogue: The issues at stake and strategies for action, organized by UN Women, 13 March, 9.30 a.m. – 6 p.m., ECOSOC Chamber [Live Webcast]
- Women, the environment and climate change in the Pacific, organized by Secretariat of the Pacific Community and Pacific Islands Forum Secretariat, 13 March, 6.30 -7:30 p.m., Conference Room 12
- Ebola Virus Disease: Sierra Leone & Liberia experiences (emerging lessons, getting to zero and beyond), co-sponsored by UN Women, 16 March, 11.30 a.m. – 12.45 p.m., Conference Room E, see our flyer
- Looking into the future: The place of sport for women’s empowerment post-2015, organized by UN Women and International Olympic Committee. Speakers include Sania Mirza, UN Women Goodwill Ambassador and tennis star, Lydia Nsekera, Chair of the IOC Women and Sport Commission, and other leaders, 16 March, 10-11.15 a.m., Dag Hammarskjöld Auditorium [Live Webcast]
- The Right to Development: The centrality of women’s human rights, organized by Development Alternatives with Women for a New Era (DAWN) with Missions of Fiji, Uruguay, and co-sponsored by UN Women, 17 March, 11 a.m. – 12.45 p.m., Conference Room 11, see our flyer.
- Beijing+20: Assessing implementation in Africa and the way forward, organized by ACORD and UN Women, 17 March, 3-4.15 p.m., Dag Hammarskjöld Auditorium [Live Webcast]
- Status of Women in the UN System, organized by UN Women, 17 March, 1.15-2.30 p.m., Conference Room 11. [Live Webcast]
[Entire list of official side events: http://www.unwomen.org/en/csw/csw59-2015/side-events/calendar-of-side-events; NGO-organized parallel events: http://www.ngocsw.org/]
UN Women senior officials will speak at the following events:
- Women and Girls in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM), on 9 March, organized by UN Women with Mission of Latvia, 4.45-6 p.m., Dag Hammarskjöld Auditorium, see our flyer.
- From Commitment to Action: Financing gender equality in the post-2015 agenda, 10 March, 3-4.15 p.m., Dag Hammarskjöld Auditorium, see our flyer.
- Unlocking multiple benefits for women and girls through sanitation and hygiene in the post-2015 era, organized by Missions of Singapore and Senegal, co-sponsored by the Water Supply and Sanitation Collaborative Council and UN Women, 13 March, 1.15-2.30 p.m., Conference Room 9, see our flyer.
- Beijing+20: The voices of indigenous women, organized by International Indigenous Women’s Forum, 13 March, 6.30-7.30 p.m., Conference Room 12, see our flyer.
- Launch of the Fund for Gender Equality’s 3rd Call for proposals, organized by UN Women, 17 March, 11.30 a.m. – 12.45 p.m., Dag Hammarskjöld Auditorium, see our flyer.
See the media advisory for other key official events and media highlights.