The sixty-first session of the Commission on the Status of Women will take place at the United Nations Headquarters in New York from 13 to 24 March 2017.
Representatives of Member States, UN entities, and ECOSOC-accredited non-governmental organizations (NGOs) from all regions of the world are invited to attend the session.
Video message from H.E. Mr. Antonio de Aguiar Patriota (Brazil), Chair of the 61st session of the Commission on the Status of Women.
- Priority theme:
Women’s economic empowerment in the changing world of work
- Review theme:
Challenges and achievements in the implementation of the Millennium Development Goals for women and girls (agreed conclusions of the fifty-eighth session)
- Emerging issue/Focus area:
The empowerment of indigenous women
The Bureau of the Commission plays a crucial role in facilitating the preparation for, and in ensuring the successful outcome of the annual sessions of the Commission. Bureau members serve for two years. In 2002, in order to improve its work and ensure continuity, the Commission decided to hold the first meeting of its subsequent session, immediately following the closure of the regular session, for the sole purpose of electing the new Chairperson and other members of the Bureau (ECOSOC decision 2002/234).
The Bureau for the 61st session (2017) of the Commission on the Status of Women comprises the following members:
- H.E. Mr. Antonio de Aguiar Patriota (Brazil), Chair (Latin American and Caribbean States Group)
- Ms. Fatma Al Zahraa Hassan (Egypt), Vice-Chair (African States Group)
- Ms. Šejla Đurbuzović (Bosnia and Herzegovina), Vice-Chair (Eastern European States Group)
- Mr. Jun Saito (Japan), Vice-Chair (Asia-Pacific States Group)
- Mr. Andreas Glossner (Germany), Vice-Chair (Western European and other States Group)
- Regional CSW61 Preparatory and Consultative Meetings
- Multi-Stakeholder Forum On 30 January 2017, UN Women convened a forum to engage a range of stakeholders in the preparations for CSW61 at UN Headquarters in New York.
- Expert Group Meeting In preparation for the sixty-first session of the Commission on the Status of Women, UN Women convened an Expert Group Meeting on the priority theme: “Women’s economic empowerment in the changing world of work.” The Expert Group Meeting was held with the technical contribution and support of the International Labour Organization (ILO) at ILO Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, from 26 to 28 September 2016.
Organization of the session
The Commission's two-week session includes the following activities:
The outcome of the Commission’s consideration of the priority theme takes the form of agreed conclusions, negotiated by all States.
- Modalities of NGO participation
- Opportunities for NGOs to address the Commission
More information regarding the 61st session (2017) of the Commission on the Status of Women to be uploaded as it becomes available.