High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development
The High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF) is the main United Nations platform for follow-up and review of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The HLPF provides political leadership, guidance and recommendations for sustainable development. It reviews progress in the implementation of the 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), with the aim to integrate the economic, social and environmental dimensions of sustainable development.
The HLPF meets every year under the auspices of the UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), and every four years under the auspices of the UN General Assembly, when Heads of State and/or Government attend the Forum.
In 2019, the HLPF under the auspices of ECOSOC will be held on 9–18 July under the theme “Empowering people and ensuring inclusiveness and equality”. The following SDGs will be discussed in-depth:
- Goal 4 – Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- Goal 8 – Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- Goal 10 – Reduce inequality within and among countries
- Goal 13 – Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
- Goal 16 – Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
- Goal 17 – Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
UN Women has drafted a set of two-pagers for the goals under review, which include facts and key messages for each of the goals.
For the first time since the adoption of the 2030 Agenda in 2015, the HLPF will also meet under the auspices of the General Assembly (SDG Summit) on 24 and 25 September 2019 at the United Nations Headquarters in New York. Heads of State and Government will gather to follow up and comprehensively review progress in the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the 17 Sustainable Development Goals.
Expert Group Meeting
As a contribution to the HLPF, UN Women, UNODC and the UNFCCC Secretariat, in collaboration with UNIDO, organized an expert group meeting on “Tackling global challenges to equality and inclusion through the gender-responsive implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development: Spotlight on SDGs 10, 13 and 16”, on 27-28 February 2019 in Vienna.
Selected reference documents
- Women and the SDGs
- SDG key messages
- Turning promises into action: Gender equality in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
- Gender equality as an accelerator for achieving the SDGs
- Report of the Secretary-General on Progress towards the Sustainable Development Goals (Special Edition)
- Report of the Secretary-General on Empowering people and ensuring inclusiveness and equality
- Financing for Sustainable Development Report 2019
- Women’s Major Group Position Paper to the 2019 HLPF