For information about previous review and appraisal processes for the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action, see “Follow-up to Beijing”. For the mandate for the 25-year review, see Economic and Social Council resolution 2018/8.
- National-level review of implementation: Guidance note | National reports
- Regional 25-year review processes
- Expert Group Meeting: Beijing +25: Current context, emerging issues and prospects for gender equality and women’s rights
National-level review of implementation
States are called upon to undertake comprehensive national-level reviews of the progress made and challenges encountered in the implementation of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action and the outcomes of the 23rd special session of the General Assembly. The reviews should include an assessment of current challenges that affect the implementation of the Platform for Action and the achievement of gender equality and the empowerment of women and its contribution towards the full realization of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development through a gender perspective.
Governments should collaborate with relevant stakeholders at all levels of preparations for the 2020 review to benefit from their experience and expertise.
National reports should cover trends, achievements and remaining gaps and challenges, as well as future plans to accelerate implementation at the national level.
The regional commissions will use the national reports to prepare regional synthesis reports over the course of 2019. All States are invited to complete their national reports by 1 May 2019.
National reports will feed into the global synthesis report that UN-Women will submit to the sixty-fourth session of the Commission on the Status of Women, to be held in March 2020.
UN-Women and the regional commissions have developed a common “Guidance note for comprehensive national-level reviews” to assist in and facilitate the conduct of comprehensive national-level reviews.
Retrieve the guidance note in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish.
List of 54 gender-specific SDG indicators – Annex 1 in Arabic, English, French, Russian and Spanish.
Note: All documents are in PDF format, and are available in the original language submitted by the respective Member States and Observer States, and any translations if available.
- Bahamas (English)
- Bahrain (Arabic), Bahrain (English)
- Bangladesh (English)
- Barbados (English)
- Belarus (Russian), Belarus (English)
- Belgium (French)
- Benin (French)
- Bhutan (English)
- Bolivia (Plurinational State of) (Spanish), Bolivia (Plurinational State of) (Annexes)
- Bosnia and Herzegovina (English)
- Botswana (English)
- Brazil (English)
- Bulgaria (English)
- Burkina Faso (French)
- Burundi (French)
- Cabo Verde (English)
- Cambodia (English)
- Cameroon (French)
- Canada (English), Canada (French)
- Central African Republic (French), Central African Republic (Annex) (French)
- Chad (French)
- Chile (Spanish)
- China (Chinese), China (English)
- Colombia (Spanish)
- Comoros (French)
- Congo (French)
- Costa Rica (Spanish)
- Cote d’Ivoire (French)
- Croatia (English)
- Cyprus (English)
- Czech Republic (English)
- Madagascar (French)
- Malawi (English)
- Malaysia (English)
- Maldives (English)
- Mali (French)
- Malta (English)
- Marshall Islands (English)
- Mauritania (French)
- Mauritius (English)
- Mexico (Spanish), Mexico (Annexes)
- Micronesia (English)
- Monaco (French)
- Mongolia (English)
- Montenegro (English)
- Morocco (Arabic), Morocco (English), Morocco (Annexes Arabic), Morocco (Annexes English)
- Mozambique (English)
- Myanmar (English)
- Saint Kitts and Nevis (English)
- Saint Lucia (English)
- Samoa (English)
- Sao Tome and Principe (Portuguese)
- Saudi Arabia (Arabic), Saudi Arabia (English)
- Senegal (French)
- Serbia (English), Serbia (Annex English), Serbia (Annex Russian)
- Seychelles (English)
- Sierra Leone (English)
- Slovakia (English)
- Slovenia (English)
- Solomon Islands (English)
- South Africa (English)
- South Sudan (English)
- Spain (Spanish), Spain (Annex)
- Sudan (Arabic)
- Suriname (English)
- Sweden (English)
- Switzerland (French)
- Syrian Arab Republic (Arabic), Syrian Arab Republic (English)
Regional 25-year review processes
Regional review processes include the preparation of regional reports and the organization of regional intergovernmental meetings. These will be conducted in all five regions by the United Nations regional commissions:
- Economic Commission for Africa (ECA)
- Economic Commission for Europe (ECE)
- Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC)
- Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP)
- Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA)
Expert Group Meeting: Beijing +25: Current context, emerging issues and prospects for gender equality and women’s rights
UN Women will convene an Expert Group Meeting in New York City on 25-26 September 2019 in preparation for the sixty-fourth session of the Commission on the Status of Women, which will focus on the review and appraisal of progress made in implementation of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action over the last 25 years.